Glittering Moments

“Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. It would be wonderful if they came to us unsummoned, but particularly in lives as busy as the ones most of us lead now, that won’t happen. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live.”

~Anna Quinlen

Moments of glittering mica. That’s how I would describe the time I get to spend with my “teacher friends” each month, sharing the magic that happens in our classrooms between the hours of 9 and 4, Monday through Friday. We call ourselves the Meraki’s, a glittering word if ever there was one. Take a look:

Meraki…(n.) the soul, creativity, or love you put into something;

the essence of yourself you put into your work.

I’m slicing about the 180 glittering moments the Meraki’s shared tonight. We’re on a mission: to change the way in which we think about learning. To create richly textured learning experiences that alter our students in some way. And what happens when we simultaneously manage to carve out a moment where we are transformed…reshaped? I am not who I was three hours ago.