The Art of Hearing

One of my greatest joys is to share what is happening in our classroom. There’s this blog, of course. We’ve also had visitors from several neighboring school districts over the past several months. Then a couple of weeks ago, I spoke with Christine McCormick, Director of Technology for our district. She was interested in learning more about the Meraki’s, a group of teachers who spend time exploring the idea of personalized learning. We recorded our conversation; you can listen to it HERE.

But as much as I love talking about our learning space and could yap all day, the truth is, no one tells the story of our classroom better than the kids themselves. So I suggested Christine jump to the heart of the matter and interview my students; below you’ll find the finished product. It is chock full of goodness. Listen carefully and you’ll hear wisdom way beyond these kids’ 10 or 11 years.

But do me a favor. Don’t just listen…instead, hear…really hear, what they’re saying. And then, after you’ve heard what they’ve said and thought deeply about your own students, ask yourself this one simple question:

“Who owns the learning in my classroom?”