Turn the Invisible Visible

Creating learning spaces that cultivate learning takes time and thought; particularly as I strive to imagine new ways of thinking about learning. Last spring, I was given the enormous gift of being able to start from scratch when designing my new space. I had spent a great deal of time learning everything I could about flexible learning spaces, so I had some ideas of what I wanted. A non-negotiable was that whatever I placed in my space would promote the idea of making thinking and learning visible. Digital technologies and whiteboard space would help support that goal. I took it one step further when I asked for (and received) three dry erase tables. As the lead learner of reading and writing, I wanted the students’ thoughts, ideas and imaginations to be on full display throughout the day.

The images above tell the story of our classroom. We use our writable spaces all. the. time. We draw pictures, make lists, brainstorm ideas and create mind maps on those spaces. We utilize them to start conversations, debate ideas and share stories. It is a glorious thing to meander around my classroom and peek into my students’ minds. It allows me to know them on a deeper level, redirect misunderstandings and create bonds that will last a lifetime. As I move forward, I’ll continue to search for ways to turn the invisible, visible.